Physiotherapy in Edmonton and St. Albert
Available at Royal Glenora, St. Albert, and Windermere locations.Back to All
life shouldn’t hurt: leading edge physiotherapy works
Do you have heel pain, ankle pain, knee pain, elbow pain, shoulder pain, hip pain, neck pain, low back pain in St. Albert or Edmonton? Are you looking for Acupuncture, Decompression, GunnIMS, Aquatic Therapy, Graston Technique, Alter-G Treadmill, Sports Physiotherapy or Radial Shockwave in Edmonton or St. Albert? At Leading Edge, we call all of this physiotherapy.
Our seriously skilled and fun-to-be-around physiotherapists are devoted to showing you that we care, in an atmosphere that will make you feel at home. Whether it is a new injury or pain that just won’t go away—we don’t want you to hurt anymore. It’s that simple.
physiotherapy is our passion
Our physiotherapists work with people of all ages and abilities to help them recover from injury, chronic pain or disease. Ultimately we want to help our patients return to their optimal level of function. We believe strongly that education regarding the nature of your injury, your prognosis and your injury management should be discussed at the onset so that you are involved fully in your recovery. Individualized treatment plans involving many techniques are then developed with you. They are then implemented, including hands-on treatment options, advanced treatment technology, self-management strategies, and appropriate home exercise. We treat all parts of the body at all stages of the injury and healing process.
At Leading Edge Physiotherapy in Edmonton and St. Albert, we emphasize the physical in physical therapy with a hands-on approach to help you reach your goals.
Physical therapy and physiotherapy are synonymous. One is the American term and the other is British. Whichever the title, make sure that the person providing it has graduated from an accredited University with either a Bachelors or Masters in Physical Therapy. In Alberta to use the term, one must be registered with the College of Physical Therapists of Alberta.
The modern Swedish definition of physical therapy was adapted by the scientific committee and the board of the Swedish Association of Registered Physical therapists in 1997:
“The subject of physical therapy encompasses human movement with respect to the ability to comprehend, control and utilise the body to adequately meet the demands of a physical and social environment. The basis consists of movement science, comprising biomechanical, physiological and psychological factors and perspectives of movement and the specific dysfunctions of movement caused by disease or injury. Physical therapy practice entails prevention, examination and treatment of the functional impairments limiting or threatening to limit human movement capacity.”
university degrees & training:
Our physiotherapists have specialized training in the body’s complex functioning, now at a Master’s degree level at most Universities. Physiotherapists are a respected member of the healthcare team, with the knowledge and ability to diagnose injuries and conditions.
IT WORKS! At Leading Edge Physiotherapy our physiotherapists are trained in a broad range of treatments and manual techniques including:
- Injury and pain management education
- Joint Mobilization
- Myofascial release
- Deep tissue massage
- Deep tendon frictions
- Graston Augmented Soft Tissue Mobilization
- Muscle energy techniques
- Modalities including Ultrasound, Interferential Current, Galvanic and High Voltage Current, TENS, Moist Heat, Ice ….
- Exercise Program development, specific to your abilities , condition and assessment findings, aimed at augmenting and assisting in your recovery
Additionally, our therapists have post-graduate training to provide treatments that are complementary to basic physical therapy care and beyond that of an entry level therapist. These include:
- IMS (intramuscular stimulation)
- Radial Shockwave
- Vestibular rehabilitation
- Spinal manipulation
As University trained members of your medical team, we treat people from birth to seniors. We have the knowledge, skills and attitudes to manage many musculoskeletal, neurological, vestibular and rheumatic conditions.
Our focus extends from the elite athlete and weekend warrior to the gardener and injured worker. Our expertise is wide reaching, owing to the breadth of training our various team members have undergone. We will ensure that the right expertise gets to you for your problem and at the right time.
We are trained and experienced in treating an extensive list of orthopedic and neurological problems. Some specific examples of conditions we commonly treat are:
- Low back pain / sacroiliac joint dysfunction / thoracic spine pain (sciatica, stenosis, scoliosis, bulging/protruding disc and spondylosis)
- Neck pain (Facet joint dysfunction, torticollis, sprains and strains)
- Whiplash from motor vehicle accidents or falls in sport
- Shoulder Injuries such as frozen shoulder, rotator cuff tears and tendonopathy, and bursitis
- Hand and wrist pathology including carpal tunnel syndrome, dequervein’s tendinitis, and skier’s thumb
- Sporting injuries: ligament sprain, plantar fasciitis, tendonitis, bursitis, joint fixations, subluxation, runners knee, and various muscle strains / tears
- Tennis elbow and Golfer’s elbow
- Chronic pain such as fibromyalgia
- Work related and occupational injuries (WCB)
- Post fracture
- Post orthopaedic surgery rehabilitation
- Arthritic conditions: osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, ankylosing spondylitis and degenerative disc disease
- Foot and ankle injuries and conditions including plantar fasciitis, metatarsalgia, Morton’s Neuroma, ankle sprains, achilles tendinitis and many more
- IT Band Syndrome, patellar femoral syndrome, meniscus injuries and other knee conditions
- Chronic pain
- Orthotics evaluations
- Vestibular conditions including BPPV
When you have pain or have sustained an injury, the sooner you access our care the better. We are trained to assess and diagnose your pain and injury to determine the correct course of treatment no matter how new (acute) or old (chronic) your condition may be.
Together, we will set and determine the goals that you wish to reach and will set a course to achieve them.
If your pain or injury has been present for more than 2 weeks, it is not likely to resolve on its own. The sooner we address the problem, the more likely you will achieve your goals.
You are welcome to attend and you do not need a referral to access our services.
Call us! We are here for you. Please simply call the Leading Edge office most convenient for you and we will arrange an appointment as promptly as possible. If you have any questions you can contact us via the website, email or telephone.
Believe it or not, we love speaking to our patients and will endeavor to promptly get back to you.
My Darn Rotator Cuff Hurts
Do you suffer from shoulder pain and live in Edmonton or St. Albert? We treat shoulder pain daily and it all starts with getting ...Read More
The Dreaded “High Ankle Sprain”
When our Edmonton Oilers young gun Taylor Hall went down with a high ankle sprain, I was asked by many patients why he was ...Read More
Radial Shockwave Treatment – What you should know
Radial Shockwave Therapy in Edmonton and St. Albert is becoming one of the most commonly advertised treatments for pain. At Leading Edge Physiotherapy, we ...Read More
Now Open In Windermere
It seems like only yesterday that we opened our first location in St. Albert. From our small corner of the world, we have enjoyed ...Read More
Foot Overpronation and 10 problems it may cause
Your feet form the foundation of the body. It is from these 52 bones, 66 joints, 214 ligaments and 38 muscles that we are able to propel ourselves ...Read More