?Beat Diabetes 2016
The theme for World Health Day 2016 is Beat Diabetes, a problem that has continued to grow rapidly in the last few decades.
Every year, on April 7th, the World Health Organization (WHO) seeks to draw attention to a major global health concern and meets in Geneva, Switzerland to promote it through World Health Day in the hopes of increasing awareness and preventing more cases.
Some Diabetes Facts
- There are two major forms of diabetes. Type 1 is characterized by a lack of insulin production and type 2 diabetes results from the body’s ineffective use of insulin. Type 2 diabetes accounts for almost 90% of all diabetes cases.
- Approximately 10 million Canadians suffer from diabetes.
- Thirty minutes of moderate-intensity physical activity on most days and a healthy diet can drastically reduce the risk of developing type 2 diabetes. Type 1 diabetes cannot be prevented.
- Diabetes has become one of the leading causes of premature illness including cardiovascular disease.
- The American Diabetes Association projects diabetes to be the leading cause of non-traumatic lower-limb amputation.
- One major complication of diabetes is diabetic foot pain and peripheral neuropathy (DPN). Neuropathic pain symptoms can fluctuate and can be described as burning, aching, numbness, tingling and/or loss of feeling. Complaints are often worse at night.
How Can Capilano Help You Beat Diabetes
Capilano Rehab Centre offers an innovative diabetic foot pain protocol that can help you reduce your diabetic foot symptoms. The components of Capilano’s diabetic foot pain protocol are:
Capilano offers custom Footmaxx orthotics specifically designed for the various stages of the diabetic patient. Our orthotics are designed to reduce the peak pressure on the foot, thereby reducing the chance of ulcerations or tissue damage, while also correcting biomechanical problems in your gait.
Our staff Kinesiologist specializes in the scientific study of human movement, and addresses physiological, mechanical and strength mechanisms. Exercise has been proven to be beneficial for many things including flexibility, core strengthening, circulation, functional strength and movement balance.
Magnetic Bio-Stimulation (MBS) Therapy
Magnetic BioStimulation (MBS) Therapy is a viable treatment option for Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy (DPN). Capilano’s MBS G-Pulse™ is a state-of-the-art system that combines pulsating electromagnetic energy (of low frequency) with monochromatic infrared rays. MBS stimulates circulation and increased energy metabolism that allows disrupted nociceptors and nerve axons to operate more efficiently, thereby reducing burning, aching, numbness, and loss of feeling.
Capilano’s K-Laser™ Therapy system is another new application which can reduce diabetic foot pain and improve neurovascular function. The K-Laser™ is a Class IV infrared laser light system with deep penetration that improves the transport of nutrients across the cell membrane, resulting in increased cellular function and repair.
If you are a diabetic and are having problems with your feet, then don’t wait any longer. Call Capilano Rehab Centre at 780-466-1104 to book your no obligation assessment for diabetic orthotics or Magnetic Bio-Stimulation today.
0 comments on “?Beat Diabetes 2016”